Fading between images

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Jason Newell_*

• Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Great app so far! Would love to see an option added for fading (and perhaps other transitions) between images when they change, similar to how Windows 7's slideshow does it.

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thanks!

There is actually a fade option. You can access it in the settings view. Look for the checkbox next to 'Fade wallpaper when changing'. Sorry that I failed to document it so far.

It is a little rough at the moment - though it should be sufficient if using one or two monitors. Beyond two monitors, it starts getting pretty slow. In addition, the icons are covered during the animation. This is unfortunately a limitation of the windows API (without having to go into system-wide .DLL hooks, which I am not going to experiment with as long as this product is in beta).

Windows doesn't provide an API for accessing the fade mechanism, at least not directly. It can be done using Active Desktop (bleh), but it only works after the user starts a slideshow from the control panel manually. I chose not to use this method based on that alone. In addition, the Windows 7 native mechanism currently converts a lossless image into a low-quality JPEG, which results in a noticeable loss of quality.

The way it currently works is utilizing a transparent window that appears in the background. This both preserves the quality of the image and allows you to enjoy a smooth fade (as long as you aren't trying to use your icons and/or using more than two monitors).

A future version of this product will definitely use a DLL hook with Direct3D to do the fade. I may even throw in some other transition effects.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users