Multiple Monitors

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_User_*

• Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Saw a link to your site on DigitalBlasphemy.com (a very impressive site). I have a fairly good laptop (1920x1200 screen) and at first was using a second monitor (1920x1200). Used a program called John's Background Switcher, nice program. However external monitor changed to a different resolution and I did not like the options that I had with John's Background Switcher, extend image to fit or scale. My preference was for an option that did not exist, creating a seperate pool of pictures for the second monitor. I found this in a product called DisplayFusion.

I do like your idea of having time and season frames to change the picture, I probably change it way too much currently. I do like the option of one image across multiple displays, although I dont use it based on resolution and color differences between monitors. I do like the ability to have a seperate pool for each monitor as explained above.

DisplayFusion also had a personal home license that allowed you to use the software on all your home computers, nice option.

Its good to see someone else with a new idea. Please dont take the fact that I mentioned other similar programs as a criticism, just trying to point out some of the features that I consider important in a background switching program.

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Don't worry, I don't mind if you mention other products.

What about another option (in the right-click context menu) that allows you to specify the monitors that a certain image should be placed on? The command would open a dialog that shows your screen layout, and you simply select which screens to place that/those image(s) on. I think to make things more immediately clear for this option, there should be yet another icon that is drawn on the image icons that have this mode set. Given the way my program is organized, I think this would be the only 'sane' way to do this.

I never heard of John's Background Switcher before your post, and there is one freaky thing I just noticed: his program also has an option called 'no draw zones' that serves the exact same function mine does.

#3 Guest_User_*

• Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

The screens I was talking
about are at work on a laptop that gets disconnected from the second monitor to go to meetings several times a day. Software should also deal with this type of changing environment.

View PostJoshua Pilkington, on 01 July 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

Don't worry, I don't mind if you mention other products.

What about another option (in the right-click context menu) that allows you to specify the monitors that a certain image should be placed on? The command would open a dialog that shows your screen layout, and you simply select which screens to place that/those image(s) on. I think to make things more immediately clear for this option, there should be yet another icon that is drawn on the image icons that have this mode set. Given the way my program is organized, I think this would be the only 'sane' way to do this.

I never heard of John's Background Switcher before your post, and there is one freaky thing I just noticed: his program also has an option called 'no draw zones' that serves the exact same function mine does.

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Definitely - In order to deal with a changing environment, I think the solution would be to simply not show that image at all if it is confined to a monitor that is not connected, and to even allow it to still work if that monitor is slightly repositioned - though the line has to be drawn somewhere.

#5 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I finally managed to get this to work. You can now specify one or more screens to use for each image. By default, each image will appear on all screens, but you can confine them to specific ones via a new item in each image's context menu (as long as the image is not set to be a collage - collages can be set to appear on specific screens via the background images that are part of a group that contains collages).

This was very hard to implement - as I had to preserve the 'display frequency' settings while at the same time allowing a user to specify any screen arrangement for any image. In addition, it had to be designed in a way that the background-choosing algorithm would not break if the screen arrangement changed. So far, I have not encountered any bugs - if everything checks out you can expect this feature to be in the next beta version (0.91).

#6 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

The remaining replies have been moved here http://chronowall.co...ocation-issues/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users