Version 1.50 Beta

No replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I am pleased to announce the first beta of the latest new feature of ChronoWall - real-time image effects! Back in early December of last year, a customer mentioned it would be cool if the background could cycle through it's effects timeline constantly. Not only do I agree with that customer - I think that ChronoWall was missing this feature all along. In fact, this feature changes the look and feel of ChronoWall completely - a whole new meaning to seeing your images "like never before".

Here is a short demonstration of a real-time 360-degree hue shift (with a small amount of bloom) using Fluorescence by Ryan Bliss of digitalblasphemy.com:

To see it in action, install the latest beta. After installation, open the Image Effects dialog for any image. Here, you will notice the top-left now has a dropdown. You can select either "Time of day", "Image Changes" or "Specified". "Time of day" is the same behavior as before (image effects will change slowly throughout the day). "Image Changes" will cycle through the effects once until the image changes. "Specified" allows you to set the duration and direction of the image effects. Full product documentation for this feature is available in the Online Help.

The best part about this feature is that it integrates with the rest of the software - i.e. you can schedule it and confine it to specific screens just like the rest of your images.

Disclaimer: Note that this is a beta feature - it has been largely untested. It also takes a fairly recent video card for the real-time effects to render without adversely affecting performance. This feature requires Direct3D - ChronoWall will indicate whether your system supports it in the Settings view of the GUI.

As this is a new feature, it is not fully optimized. Your mileage may vary.

Have fun!

The full changelog is below:

(FEATURE)

Ability to render image effects on the desktop in real-time.

(FEATURE)

Background generation via Direct3D has been finished. All collage borders are also supported.

ChronoWall will automatically detect whether your computer can support it upon startup. The status for this is now reflected in the GUI. Also, the "fade when changing" option will automatically be enabled when Direct3D is supported.

(BUGFIX)

Sometimes the wallpaper would not fade even if that option was enabled - this has been fixed.

(BUGFIX)

The fade would not work if the icons were hidden - this has been fixed.

You can download the latest version at http://chronowall.co/downloads.php

To upgrade, first exit ChronoWall and install the new version over the existing one. You do not need to uninstall the old version. If you are unable to upgrade due to the file 'DesktopTransition.dll' (or 'DesktopTransition64.dll') being locked, log off and log back on and try the installation again.

Enjoy the fixes/features in this latest release! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users