Version 1.02 Beta

No replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

After careful observation, it has come to the attention that ChronoWall has (or had) several memory leaks. During the initial beta period, I implemented multiple new features, some of which were never fully tested for memory performance. This latest beta release should address all of them. I highly encourage anyone willing to try a pre-release copy to install this latest version, as the current version can consume a lot of memory if heavily used for a prolonged period of time (on the scale of weeks).

For all future releases of ChronoWall, I pledge that no new memory leaks will be published. This type of issue is never acceptable in any software that runs in the background continuously. Ideally, no software would have them at all.

I wish I could have released new features today, as those are much more fun to work on (and announce). However, ChronoWall is not usable if it has to be constantly restarted.

BUGFIX

Fixed all known memory leaks. If anybody happens to find any more, please let me know.

You can download the latest pre-release version at http://chronowall.co/downloads.php

Keep in mind that this is a beta release and may contain a few bugs. If you want guaranteed stability, please download an official release.

To upgrade, first exit ChronoWall and install the new version over the existing one. You do not need to uninstall the old version. If you are unable to upgrade due to the file 'DesktopTransition.dll' (or 'DesktopTransition64.dll') being locked, log off and log back on and try the installation again.

If you decide to revert to the latest official release from the latest beta, you can do so by uninstalling the latest beta and reinstalling the latest official release.

Enjoy the fixes/features in this latest release! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users