Effects Schedule

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Stanbridge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Chronowall is a cool and promising package and I think that as the community grows and more features and functionality are added it will really take off.

On that note, I think that tying the lifespan of the image's effects to the group's schedule can be limiting. As I was tinkering, I wanted to see the effects on my image take place and then move on to the next image and so on. Currently however, I've only been able to set the group schedule to something very short like 3 mins with just one image, and then have the next group/image pick up to create the effect of one changing image after the other. This is not ideal, lol.

So my question is, would it be possible to give a choice between associating the timeline of the image effects with the image turnover and the group schedule? With an option like this, users could have a more static background during one part of the day, and a set of constantly changing images during another.

Thanks for the chance to put my opinion out there. Have a good one.

-Jordan

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Jordon,

I think I understand what you're saying. You want to see an image go through it's entire effect timeline based on the 'change every' setting. That is actually a pretty good idea that I have never thought of. There was one other person who liked the image effects but didn't like waiting for such a long period of time (such as sunrise to sunset) to see them in action. This would require the background to be constantly changing.

The only issue I see with this in the current design is that it can take quite a bit of memory and CPU to do the wallpaper fade on a continuous basis, especially if there are multiple monitors. Also, if there are any collages loaded, someone would see a different collage on their screen pretty much every second. Collages can also take quite a bit of CPU when being generated.

I can definitely implement this suggestion, but I will need to figure out a way to make it work with collages and make it more CPU-friendly. My current thought is that this will require a drastic redesign with respect to the way that the wallpaper is generated - instead of using the CPU, the GPU would be used to perform the image effects and add the collages. In addition, I could make the collages static while the image effects ran their course. There are definitely challenges with porting all of the image effects to the GPU (especially bloom), but it can be done. Your wallpaper would then always come from the GPU if used in this state. Another cool thing about always using the GPU is that I could potentially support other formats for use on your wallpaper (video files, dreamscene, etc.).

If it weren't for the collages, multi-monitor users and other users who's computer(s) may not be at the latest specifications, I could simply add your suggestion as another option. If I do add it in ChronoWall's current state, it would only be a matter of time before I started getting complaints (collages changing constantly, very slow performance).

Consider it something I'll do. It might be a while before you see it in a release though (as I am currently working on ironing out a few potential memory leaks for my next release).

Thanks for your suggestion :)

#3 Jordan Stanbridge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Well I didn't even stop to think about the demands on the cpu and memory for switching through backgrounds. It's good to hear that my suggestion is possible though. I'm glad I paid for a copy, otherwise I'd feel bad for adding to your workload. :) Thanks again for a cool product.

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

No problem. I plan to get this implemented after I add some other suggested features. Thank you for your purchase!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users