Beta to RC upgrade problem

3 replies to this topic

#1 BeccaM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Been a busy week, so it was only today I finally got the time to upgrade my last beta installation (0.99) to RC2. I did follow the instructions to exit from Chronowall and then install over my old copy. No errors were reported. However, when I ran Chronowall again, it was still the expired beta version.

Only by uninstalling and reinstalling was I able to achieve the upgrade. After that, no other problems, was able to register my key code, etc.

System: Win 7 64-bit Professional
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 6 GB

Anyway -- still very happy with Chronowall. Gonna need to experiment some more with the imported transitions...

cheers,
Becca

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Becca,

Thanks for letting me know. It appears that it is a problem with the MSI's upgrade code. It's also possible that upgrades that are more than one iteration apart aren't being installed properly. I'll definitely be looking into this and doing lots of upgrade testing before I release my next version (which will include a much-needed feature - digitally signed executables).

Good to know that you are liking it. :)

#3 BeccaM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll let you know if I run into any other problems. I did just complete the RC3 update without problems. Did have to reboot to complete the installation, but that's not a big deal.

cheers!
Becca

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Becca,

Good to know! I'll definitely make sure that my future releases have the proper versions on everything. I believe the reboot requirement was due to the fade shell extension running. One possible way to get around that is to exit ChronoWall before upgrading - though, sometimes other Windows processes will hold on to that .dll file even if it is unhooked. I'll definitely be looking into possible ways to get around that reboot requirement in the mean time.

Thanks again for that blog post :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users