Location Issues

3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick White

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to give some feedback this utility. I like the features and it's ability to sync wallpaper to the time of day and the seasons. However, I've noticed that when I entered my location either using long/lat that it thinks the sun is going to set at 14:42PST. here on the west coast. I know that the sun does not set at that time. What would be more helpful and simpler if cronowall would aquire your location itself. I hope this kind of feature will be in the RC version.

Thanks

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Rick,

Please give me the city you are trying to set the location to and I will take a look. Please also check to make sure latitude and longitude was entered in the correct order with the negative (-) sign (which can be easy to miss). It could also be due to your time zone being set incorrectly, as ChronoWall takes all of this into account.

As far as automatically setting the location - that is something that I have been thinking about. ip2location.com does have a (rather expensive) service where they sell a database of IP addresses that are mapped to latitude and longitudes (the lookup by IP button in the GUI actually directs you to this, but you have to enter the Lat/Lon manually).

If you or anyone else knows of a free or cheaper alternative, please let me know! I have been shopping around around for a service such as this specifically for this purpose.

#3 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Here's the deal - if you are using ip2location.com's web service, the minus (-) sign sometimes appears above the actual latitude or longitude, which is very confusing. When copying and pasting the latitude or longitude, make sure that the entire string is selected.

I'll be updating the online help manual for the time being. It's possible I'll be purchasing their (or someone else's) service.

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Just an update on this issue. To make things more clear when setting the location, I am going to implement Google's Geolocation API. That way, you can get your latitude and longitude by entering an address. In addition, a map will be shown to remove any confusion as to what the latitude and longitude actually represents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users