Icon Text with Fade Effect

3 replies to this topic

#1 StealthMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Joshua,

I noticed something today. On my Windows 7 x64 machine with Aero on and with the Fade effect enabled, desktop icon text disappears during the wallpaper transition. To be more accurate, the text mostly disappears, but it actually leaves a faint, shadow-like outline of the text. I am using RC1. Let me know if you need more info.

--Matt

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Ah, this is actually what happens when a fade occurs when a slideshow isn't in progress. Apparently, Windows doesn't look at the alpha values of the icon texture when the desktop is in "classic" mode. It's an issue I have been trying to fix for a while - I even tried having Direct3D draw the text itself - only it doesn't line up correctly.

To work around this, you can turn off fading in ChronoWall, start and stop a desktop slideshow in Windows, and then re-enable fading in the settings. I know it isn't remotely ideal, as that's a lot of steps to take every time you start your computer. I believe the solution for this would be to programatically perform the same tasks that Windows does to the desktop background when a native slideshow is started (in Windows Vista and 7). I'll definitely continue working on a solution for this in the mean time. Ironically, XP doesn't seem to have this issue at all.

Thanks!

#3 MastermindJB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

I will confirm that I get the same effect on my win 7 x64 machine as well. It never really bothered me but I did definitely notice it. Thanks for all the hard work Joshua.
Whatever you do.... take care of your shoes!

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

I have managed to fix this icon text issue for Windows 7-based machines. The solution was to simply send a specific window message to the desktop. This message basically tells Windows 7 to put the desktop into "slideshow" mode, which fixes the alpha blending issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users