Version 0.94 - Windows XP Support!

No replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

I am pleased to announce the next available version of ChronoWall Beta, version 0.94. This version brings a major new feature: Windows XP support! Given the amount of people that are still on XP (about 40% according to W3 Schools), I realized that excluding all of those users would be a major mistake.

The Windows XP version is identical to the Windows Vista/7 versions and has all of the same features, including the image effects.

In order to get ChronoWall to work on Windows XP, I had to do the following things:

• Make the GUI compatible with Tahoma/Courier New
  • Write raw filters for all of the GDI+ 1.1 image effects that were being used
  • Some of the underlying system behavior is different for XP vs. Windows Vista/7, especially when dealing with the Windows messaging system.
Since this was developed using a Windows XP VM, there is a possibility that not everything has been addressed. If any of you have a spare Windows XP computer or know of anybody on Windows XP who you think would be interested in testing this product, please let them know!

In addition to Windows XP support, the following minor bugs were fixed:

• (BUGFIX)

When launching the product for the first time, the wallpaper could be automatically set with the main window open. Normally, ChronoWall does NOT automatically set your wallpaper if the main window is open - since Windows prioritizes GDI to specific applications, the GUI is very slow when a background image is being generated. Now, the wallpaper will no longer be set when the main GUI is open when the software is initially launched.

One beta tester commented that having the ability to share image effects would be useful. Currently, ChronoWall uses 'Image Adjustment Templates' to save you the time of creating effects for each individual image. However, with this idea, this could be expanded to having everyone share what they are creating. I haven't fully thought of how to do this yet - at a minimum it will involve the ability to import/export the image effects. I thought I would just throw this out there since I definitely plan to have this as a feature. Whether it will be available in the first initial version is questionable due to its extensive nature.

You can download the latest version at http://chronowall.co/downloads.php

To upgrade, simply install the new version over the existing one. You do not need to uninstall the old version.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this product. I greatly appreciate it! Please let me know of any more suggestions, issues or bugs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users