My Crazy Idea

3 replies to this topic

#1 StealthMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

Here is my initial experience with the ChronoWall beta (crazy idea included):

I was originally directed here from Ryan at Digital Blasphemy. As you already know, his work is begging to be used with ChronoWall. The image effects are particularly tantalizing. ChronoWall seems really powerful, but I just don't know how to take advantage of the features without investing countless hours into it. I have a folder of hundreds of Digital Blasphemy images, but I simply don't have the time (and possibly the talent) to set up custom hue/color saturation/color balance/etc for each one in a way that makes the image look good. I also can't be alone wanting to use Ryan's images with ChronoWall (even for other images, people's tastes must intersect).

I feel like ChonoWall's power would be most realized if there was some way for people to share their image effects with each other. Plus, if everyone could design cool image effects for a small handful of images and then upload them from within ChronoWall, the work could effectively be crowd sourced. It would be amazing if people could select the images on their computer and browse image effects people have created for their images. Maybe even a step further would be the ability to browse online galleries of images that already have effects created. I am thinking something like Firefox Personas, but for images in ChronoWall.

Being a software engineer myself, I realize what I am suggesting isn't simple and has a number of problems such as heavy bandwidth consumption, potential legal issues, etc. That being said, I thought of it and figured I would toss it out there so you can do with it what you like.

--Matt

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

Matt,

You've basically just turned this program into a full-blown community.

The image effects have always been pretty tedious to create. Since they don't translate well across different images, I was pretty much stuck with the "image adjustments templates" system that I have right now. However, the ability to share them would open up all kinds of new avenues.

There are definitely some issues I will need to address:

• A way to identify an image (could be based on the source URL, filename or MD5/SHA1 hash)
  • A way to deal with duplicate/very similar submissions
  • A rating system of some kind
  • Social network integration (optional to the user, of course)
  • Hosting/storage (a shared BlueHost account may not be able to handle this if many people start using it)
  • Should only registered users (those who have a key) be able to upload new effects?

These are just issues I thought up in the past 10 minutes. I am sure that there are more.

I definitely like your idea - it makes this program so much more than just a desktop changer. Due to the complexity of it, this may or may not be possible to implement before the first version (1.0) is released. This is definitely on my plate now and will be in a future version, hopefully pretty soon. Also, before this is implemented, I have another image effect (bloom) that I am going to try to get in the first version.

Thank you Matt for this really great idea. I really appreciate your input!

#3 StealthMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

I am well aware that what I suggested isn't a tweak or a feature, but a whole new idea, hence the warning label: crazy. :) Thanks for taking the time to think about it and respond. I think it is awesome that you are looking at doing it for a future version.

And thanks for pointing out the image adjustment templates -- I had completely missed those. The templates help a lot. The one thing that would make them easier to use would be the ability to rapidly (i.e. less clicks) try a bunch of them. With 11 different Afternoon to Sunset ones, it takes a while to try them to find which one works best for a particular image.

I've found that the 360 Hue Shift works quite well with a lot of the Digital Blasphemy abstract works. I am going to roll with that for a little while.

Keep up the good work.

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Thanks!

I will see what I can do to make the templates easier to use. An easy way to fix this may be to simply keep the image adjustment templates dialog open until the user closes it manually.

As far as your "crazy idea" goes, I think the best way to tackle this would simply be the ability to import/export templates. You can then export a template and upload it to an "Online Template Gallery" that users can browse with example images, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users