Main Interface/Help

3 replies to this topic

#1 kirtai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

I am finding it very difficult to figure out how to actually use your program. There is no help at all built in to the program (indeed I just had to tinker until I figured out that having my text set at %125 was making the interface unreadable, an issue that ought to be addressed), and the online help section talks in circles, like reading a dictionary if you don't understand English. Let me give you an example:

"To simplify the organization of images into schedules, ChronoWall uses what are called Wallpaper Groups. A Wallpaper Group is simply a group of images that you assign a schedule and 'change frequency' to. Each wallpaper group can be enabled/disabled at will, allowing you to temporarily add/remove images that appear on your desktop.

Note that when using image effects, the image effects applied to images within a group are dependent on that particular wallpaper group's schedule.

It should also be noted that collages are also dependent on the wallpaper group for which they are a part of."

The first part is fine, but the next two sentences are confusing, as I have just started learning about the program, I have no idea what they are talking about with effects and collages. I get frustrated at this point, and have trouble making myself care enough to try and sort it out. Just to be clear, I am 30 years old and an English teacher, and I lack nothing in reading skills. I'm just trying to be helpful here, pointing out that to a layperson, this program is very difficult to get going, and you might consider rewriting the help section as though you were trying to use it yourself.

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Wow, I am glad that you found that the text wasn't being displayed properly in other text modes. Given the GUI's fixed-resolution nature, the only remedy at this point is to make the fonts appear smaller, based on the user's display settings. It isn't ideal (the text will appear smaller than the rest of your applications), but at least everything will be readable.

Integrated help is a very good idea - I think that I will go with mouse-over tooltips that will explain everything in detail.

As far as the online help goes - yes, it is very much a rough draft, and I do plan on rewriting it (or hiring a writer) to make it flow better.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely be addressing this 125% text mode issue right away.

#3 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

The 125% text issue has been resolved (you're right, the GUI did look pretty bad on that setting). The next beta version (0.92) will include this as a bugfix.

#4 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

A good portion of the help manual has been revised. It still hasn't been finished. I plan to add navigation menus that allows you to easily navigate throughout the document. In addition, I plan on adding online help videos demonstrating how to perform various tasks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users