Adding Images to Mutiple Groups

7 replies to this topic

#1 Rikku Highwind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

I have a curious question. :) Is there a way, or is it possible add, a way to add a single image to multiple groups at once? I'm not a huge fan of randomly changing wallpapers, I would rather just pick the one I want and allow the effects to change the way it looks.
I spent a while adding the one image I wanted to each individual group, and because I change my wallpaper every couple days, I'd rather not have to go through the process of adding images individually every time.

Thanks for a fantastic program btw! :)

#2 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

Thanks!

I believe adding a single image to multiple groups could be possible. I'll just have to think of a way to do it with the current way the GUI is laid out.

Possible ways:
  • Allow dragging an image from explorer directly into a group (in the list) without having to open it, just like they are from results. You would still have to drag it to each individual group but it would be much faster without having to open each one.
  • When dragging any image into the group list - either from image results / RSS feeds / Explorer, if the CTRL button is held down, a new dialog will open that shows all the wallpaper groups in a list. You would then multi-select each group in the list and click OK. Upon clicking OK, the image will be added to the selected groups.

Let me know if this makes sense.

#3 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

By the way, I just realized that for now, you could add a folder (containing the image you want to add in question) to all the groups that you want. When you want to change images, you would simply copy the image into the new folder and delete the old one. Not terribly efficient, but definitely a workaround until multiple group management is implemented.

In addition, I will need to think of a way to delete the same image from multiple groups. A clean way of doing that would probably be another item on an image's context menu that reads 'Delete from all groups'. Perhaps that item should only be accessible if the CTRL button is held down when right-clicking.

#4 Rikku Highwind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Those suggestions do make sense. I'd love to try and see which works the best. I'll try the folder idea and let you know how it works out. Thanks very much! :)

#5 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

No problem! Given that adding this feature won't impact the underlying system, I'll definitely be able to have this feature ready to test in the next upcoming beta version (0.91).

#6 Rikku Highwind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the folder idea is working really well. Aside from the first time adding the folder to all the groups, its really efficient and easy. :) Thanks for the tip.

#7 Joshua Pilkington

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Good to know! This also confirms that my software is correctly dealing with folders that may have their contents changed on a regular basis.

By the way, I have finished the multiple group management feature - you can add one or more images to multiple groups (from any source). In addition, you delete multiple images from multiple groups simultaneously. It definitely makes this software much easier to use. Thanks a lot for this tip.

I plan to release this feature in the next version (0.91) with several other feature additions and bug fixes (see Roadmap).

#8 Rikku Highwind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Awesome, I can't wait to try it out. Glad I could help. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users